Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Who What When Where Why?

If you forgot what I look like, here's a stunning reminder...

For the next two months I'll be living at an apartment in the same apartment complex as Amanda's orphanage. The BYU group and I will be helping with adoption paperwork, coordinatting medical procedures, cooperating with government orphanages, fundraising, tending and caring for children, and a participating in a host of other unknown adventures!

Amanda de Lange is the foster mother of Starfish Foster Home. Through contacts in Shanghai, she emailed BYU's Kennedy Center looking for summer interns to help, and she found me! Through a bit of talking and contact-making, I found a group headed up by Professor Steve Hawks that had plans to go to China and do Health-related research, but lacked a "home-base" to do things from. So, putting two and two together, I hooked everyone up. So now there are 4 students, a professor, and two of his family members traveling to Xian.

Amanda takes care of "special needs infants," i.e. those infants most likely to die in the government orphanages, due to malnutrition, medical conditions, and lack of appropriate funding.

Through a rare bureauratic miracle, Amanda (who is actually from South Africa) overstepped what is usually mountains of paperwork, and was given permission to care for the babies. She received her first 6 babies in the fall of 2005, and received 6 more April 29, 2006.

The second batch came days before the BYU group (that's me) will arrive around May 3rd. I plan to be there until July 7, and the rest of the group will be there until the 28th or so.

Being unable to renew her Taiwan Visa after being there 7 years, Amanda moved to Xian, Shanxi Province, China to work. There she got involved with friends who were friends of the orphanages, and when the opportunity came to help, she couldn't pass it by. Xian is in interior China, home of the Terracotta Soldiers and about 3 million folks. We will be cooperating with government officials and overseas agencies to place these children in safe and loving homes, and helping to lay the groundwork for an organization that can help many babies in the future.

In the beginning, Amanda used her own personal savings to fund expenses. Since, she has received donations from various foundations and people around the world, but is still working to find any that can contribute to the effort. Before the children can be adopted, their immediate medical problems must be taken care of, which can only happen as the money comes in. Among other problems, the children have serious cleft-palettes, heart conditions, spina bifida, jaundice, and are malnourished.

There have been many miracles already, and I'm sure there will yet be many more. I think the man upstairs has a special place in his heart for these children. Stay in touch to learn more...

10 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Thanks for the "stunning reminder" of what you look like, Ryan ... and for the even more stunning reminder of what you are on the inside. What a worthwhile thing for you to do, Youngling.

It must be great to know that your beauty isn't just skin deep! :-)

Cheers,
Tom

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 11:18:00 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Welcome to Blog world... Ryan, You Rock!! Thanks for being such a good example to me! Have fun and I will be sure to check your blog to see what you are up to!! Love ya!

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 7:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan! Jia you!!! Maybe I'll really see you there. But untill then... bao3zhong4!!!(=zhao4gu4 zi4ji3:)

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 2:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Ryan Rampton..I am so exited for you! I will be checking your blog to see what R-diggs is up to..You are awesome and I miss ya!
Claudia

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 6:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan!

China huh? Sounds like you're doin' great, cuz. My best wishes to you in a very noble cause! I know the Man upstairs is over there with those kids... and maybe even with you and your "stunning reminder." Lol. I know He follows you wherever you go. You're a great man and example for righteousnous to all. Love ya cuz!
P.S. Crystal and I are having a boy!

Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ry-dawg,

Wo jung sigh fong pee la.

Colby

Saturday, May 06, 2006 2:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan! I'm eternally jealous! Those are some cute little babies, and I suppose you're cute too. Tee hee. Hope all goes well.
Your favorite cousin in all of the whole wide scope of Blanding,
Alex

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 2:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This man is a criminal...He robbed me of my last 500 pesos!

Sunday, May 28, 2006 4:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This man is a criminal...He robbed me of my last 500 pesos!

Sunday, May 28, 2006 4:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok...ok...This man is not a criminal, and I don't even really use pesos...Heck, he's my brother and I was just trying to make him laugh...I'm actually very proud of him and what he's doing.

Sunday, June 04, 2006 8:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home